Vapor products are the first game-changing technology in the ongoing fight to combat combustible cigarette smoking. The Royal College of Physicians concluded that vapor products are at least 95% less harmful than combustible cigarettes. Treating Vapor products like combustible tobacco is wrong.
Vaping Among Youth is Declining
• As the rate of smoking continues to decline, Monitoring the Future reported that “the percentage of U.S. teens who vape declined in 2016 – the first significant reversal of a rapid rise in adolescent vaping.”
• The Lancet concluded that 90.6% of young people using vapor products were already smokers.
Raising Age to Vape Leads to Increase in Teen Smoking According to US Medical Schools
• According to the CDC 9 out of 10 smokers begin before age 18, we must give young adult smokers an alternative to combustible cigarettes.
• A March 2016 study by the Cornell Medical School found that e-cigarette age restrictions have led to an 11.7 percent increase in teen combustible cigarette use.
• Further, Yale School of Public Health found that reducing vapor product access to young adults increases teen smoking rates.
Tobacco 21 Hurts State and Local Economies
• The only impact Tobacco 21 will have is on retailer and government budgets.
• Only five states currently have Tobacco 21, but over thirty other proposals have been rejected because of economic impact, particularly on small businesses.
• Consumers will simply go out-of-area for tobacco and other consumer goods or order consumer goods online costing our state’s retailers and taxpayers.